Soft Ginger Cookies
Although most ginger cookie recipes end up on the crunchy side, soft ginger cookies ARE possible... and boy are they delicious!
This first recipe makes soft, chewy cookies that stay soft for quite a while IF you can keep them that long!!
Chewy Ginger Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose Flour (+ extra flour for rolling)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- ¾ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- ¾ cup softened Margarine
- 1 cup Sugar (+ extra sugar for rolling)
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Orange Juice (or Water)
- ¼ cup Molasses
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
- In a separate, large bowl, mix together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until well blended (NOTE: not ALL of the sugar.)
- Beat in the egg, orange juice, and molasses.
- Stir in the separate, sifted ingredients a small amount at a time.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for about an hour (optional - makes it easier to work with)
- Form dough into small balls and roll in sugar.
- Place dough balls on ungreased cookie sheets and flatten a bit with a fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Larger dough balls make these cookies soft and moist. Want something more crisp - like ginger snaps? Just make the dough balls smaller and cook a little longer.
- These can also be rolled out and cut with cookie cutters. It's a very versatile recipe!
- Candied ginger is always a terrific addition to any ginger cookie recipe, soft or crisp! Mix some in OR place one small piece of candied ginger on top of each cookie.
- Store in an airtight container for lasting softness.
- Try less margarine (1/2 cup) and sugar or substitue Splenda for some of the sugar for a healthier version.
Usually, we include several recipes on each page but, after much searching, we haven't found a better recipe for soft ginger cookies, so we'll leave you with just the one. You won't be disappointed!
More Cookie Pages
Click here if you prefer crisp ginger cookies to these soft and chewy ones.
Click here if you prefer gingerbread cookies.
Return Home from this soft ginger cookies page.