BBC Food's Eggless Royal Icing
Here's one for those who are health conscious, vegan, and/ or have egg allergies. It is from the BBC Food's website and was used with great success in the Hoppo Bumpo Great Eggless Royal Icing Experiment.
By Michelle Berriedale-Johnson of Foods Matter Magazine
500g/1lb 2oz icing sugar, sifted
2 lemons, juice only
3-4 tsp glycerine
(available from most supermarkets and and health food stores)
1. Put the icing sugar in the bowl of a mixer.
2. Gradually add the lemon juice and the glycerine, beating continually, until the texture and the flavour are as you want them.
3. To ice the cake, spread a thin layer of a jam of your choice over the cake.
4. Roll out the marzipan (using icing sugar to stop it sticking to the rolling pin) and lift it onto the cake. Patch as needed and, if necessary, just take
pieces of the marzipan and press it out on the cake.
5. Use a spatula to spread the royal icing over the marzipan, and a fork to 'fluff' it up so that it looks snow-like - then decorate.